5/31/2008

:: waiting for september ::

After you fall in love with Housekeeping and Gilead, y'all can join my excitement over something I read yesterday.... A new Marilynne Robinson novel will be published in September 2008! I read on Wikipedia (and elsewhere), "Home is a companion piece to Gilead, focusing on the Boughton family during the same time period that Gilead covers."

Normally, I'd be nervous if an author tried to follow up such a rich story as Gilead, but I trust Marilynne Robinson, much like I trust Leif Enger. I loved Gilead so much that with confidence in this author, I'm excited to be reacquainted with the Boughton family. And I'm [selfishly] relieved that Robinson did not wait another 20 (or so) years to write her 3rd novel. God is good.

FYI, Marilynne Robinson also wrote two books of essays. I own a copy of The Death of Adam, sitting on a shelf upstairs, but I haven't read it yet. Will soon.



P.S. - [on my other blog, read towards the end of "she & him (and more)" and "upstairs" to see how musician Lori Chaffer persuaded me to read J.D. Salinger's Franny and Zooey ASAP, and actress/musician Zooey Deschanel did likewise with Ernest Hemingway's A Moveable Feast. There's so much to read in the world.]

No comments: